Re: OS Masters

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 16:44:30 EST

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Mel wrote:

> 1. Research OOM issues and ways of resolving it possibly based on
> profiling individual users and using system metrics as a limit. IRCC,
> there isn't a way implemented yet that everyone is happy with

This is a (to me) interesting field, because different users
will look at the situation differently. You're right that it can
never be done in such a way that everybody is happy, but it would
be nice if it could be done in such a way that the system can be
shielded from:
- processes that went crazy
- users that did something crazy, intentional or not
- overload from the outside (say a /.ed webserver)

> 4. Look into making Linux a distributed system. Provide a
> kernel/userland/some combination of easily distributing tasks across a
> multiple number of machines whether task farming or whatever. Possibly
> even distributing scheduling and memory management across a number of
> machines rather than one machine. Note, this is not RPC, ideally, userland
> would barely be aware of the distribution

MOSIX + high availability extensions?

> 7. Someone suggested implemented the BeOS filesystem to have a
> multimedia ready file system for Linux - I'm not definite if
> this has been done already or not

The "multimedia ready" in this case won't be in the filesystem
itself, but more in the layers on top of this. To properly
support multimedia I/O you'd need something like:
- low-latency and/or guaranteed rate I/O
        - a good I/O scheduler (deadline scheduling + ????)
        - a framework for scheduling the I/O in advance
        - (maybe) disks without metadata .. like XFS RT volumes
- efficient use of disk bandwidth (contradicts with the previous)
- (maybe) deadline scheduling in various parts of the system

Oh, and it needs to be lightweight and modular because Linux is
also used on other kinds of systems where this cruft isn't
allowed to have any overhead ;)

regards,

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.