RE: Off-topic process question.

From: Robert M. Love (rml@tech9.net)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 15:51:50 EST

> someone wrote:
>
> Maybe one of you kernel gurus can answer a simple question for me.
>
> I'm curious if there is a way to instruct the kernel to execute a
> particular process only on a particular processor in a multi-processor
> system.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Nicholas Kirsch <nkirsch@insynq.com>

you can not yet do this. this is called processor affinity, and it is where
you instruct a thread or process which cpu to exec on (or at least prefer).
it is useful for lots of reasons, most notable optimizations where keeping
everything local to one cpu speeds things up. someday, perhaps..

robert
rml@tech9.net