Re: Info on SKbuf....

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 14:44:11 EST

   From: "Raj, Ashok" <ashok.raj@intel.com>
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:34:12 -0700

   are there any existing implementations available in linux? or does
   this mechanism already exist and iam not looking at the right
   source? iam looking at redhat 6.1 which is 2.2.12-20 i think.

It doesn't exist yet, even 2.3.x. I think you've even posted
this question before?

A zero copy framework is planned for 2.5.x

The reason we can't easily just "give it back" to the driver
is that we must hold onto the packet until the application
actually reads the data from the socket receive queue.
What's more, it would be very bad in 2.3.x to copy the data
into another skbuf and give back the original because in 2.3.x
the copy into user space for the application read computes the
checksum in parallel with that copy.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com