rdev for linuxppc and other ramdisk questions.

From: Scott Little (slittle@nortelnetworks.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 13:40:00 EST

Hi,

I'm trying to build something equivalent to a rescue disk for a CPX2000
(a PREP/PowerPC box). The CPX2000 has no floppy drive but it is
capable of network booting, obtaining it's kernel via TFTP. I've been
following the BOOTDISK.HOWTO for the most part but I'm stuck
one one or two issues.

While the kernel was built with ramdisk support, It will not
automatically
use the appended ramdisk.image.gz until I do something equivalent to the

following

rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/fd0
rdev -R /dev/fd0 0
rdev -r /dev/fd0 <ramdisk_word>

So my issues are

1) I can't find 'rdev' for linuxppc. I've read at least one other
posting that
seemed to imply that rdev can't be ported to powerpc because it is
partially
implemented in x86 assembly. Is there a version of rdev or an
equivalent tool
that can run natively under linuxppc?

2) The actual boot device is not the floppy device /dev/fd0 but tftp.
Assuming
rdev for linuxppc exists, what device name would I substitute for
/dev/fd0 in
this network booting scenario?

Hope you can help

Thanks,