Re: NFS and pre-kernels.

From: Jim Wray (wray@neptune.cs.byu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 14:08:41 EST

On 19 Apr 2000, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > Just in case this is not known: I downloaded and compiled a
> > couple kernels 2.3.99 pre3 and pre5. Both had major problems
> > with NFS. When I would do copies, listings, etc. I never
> > narrowed down to the exact problem. I did not try 2.3.51,
> > figuring the code base was the same. If I am wrong please let
> > me know. No, I did not enable NFSv3, and my server is an HP
> > 800 series.
>
> > I would appreciate any insight and/or gentle rips if need be
>
> But what is your gripe? Bug reports are welcome, but I need at least a
> description of what is going wrong. Are you seeing file corruptions,
> problems with reading,... ?
>
> BTW: Most of the SunRPC and NFS code base changed completely between
> 2.3.99-pre2 and 2.3.99-pre4.

Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I guess because I was testing the waters
to see if something had been reported.

I noticed that sometimes when I did copies from local to nfs, or from nfs
to nfs, they didn't happen or they just never finished. On a couple of
occasions they did however. It was because of those few successes I said
I had not narrowed down the exact situations that caused problems.

With listing, I noticed that the only time I had problems was with a
directory that I copied while using one of the pre kernels. Then when
typing ls, the machine would use all of the processor, and not ever do the
listing. It was as if it had entered into infinite recursion. I suppose
the conclusion is that there is no problem with ls, but that the copy was
recursively writing in the directory. I never did check that thoroughly
though.

I am running RH 6.2 on a PIII8000e asus P3c2000 board.
Here is an example of on of the directories mounted from fstab:
neptune:/usr/local/linux/intel /usr/lab nfs rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192

Thanks again, I hope this is better.

--
Jim Wray
wray@cs.byu.edu