RE: IDE/ATAPI

From: Matt Aylward (matt@cyllene.uwa.edu.au)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 22:05:40 EST

On 18-Apr-2000 Joe wrote:
> I am curious why Linux uses a generic IDE/ATAPI for almost all
> cdroms (IDE/ATAPI) and Windows requires new drivers or seperate
> drivers for each drive?
I am a long time linux user and general programmer, not a driver or kernel
programmer.
As far as I can work out, Linux uses a stanard generic ATAPI/IDE driver for all
IDE/ATAPI cdroms. I have swapped ATYAPI cdroms several times with no need to
change or upgrade drivers.

> If a cdrom is IDE/ATAPI is this a standard and if so why do some
> IDE/ATAPI drives work better than others?

I don't know the answer to that one.

> Also is it normal for a 32x or 52x cdrom to make noise when it
> spins up? I had a 32x and it seems to be dead now, and now I
> have a 52x and both sound like little turbines every time they
> spin up. Is this normal?

This usually depends very much on the cdrom disc itself, at 52x any tiny
imbalance causes lots of noise. I have an ATAPI 40x and a SCSI yamaha 8x4x24
CDRW and they both make a terrible noise with particular dics.

--
E-Mail: Matt Aylward <matt@cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: 19-Apr-2000
Time: 10:59:30

Matt Aylward <maylward@cyllene.uwa.edu.au> Depts of Botany and Geography, The University of Western Australia. =====_______Linux: OS for the people by the people_______====== =====_______ OS with the power for Real Science _______======

This message was sent by XFMail ----------------------------------