Re: Security in general (was Re: Proposal "LUID")

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 16:48:31 EST

yoann@mandrakesoft.com wrote:

> Linda Walsh <law@sgi.com> writes:
>
> > "Michael H. Warfield" wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 08:15:17AM -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:
> > > Hmmm... Afraid you seemed to have missed several points.
> > >
> > > One, look closely at that string. Inetd does not write to any
> > > file. Echo writes to the file and creates a configuration file for inetd.
> > > It then execs inetd specifying that as a configuration file.
> > ---
> > why should inetd be runnable as a user? Seems setting up servers
> > should be only at a system level to be secure...but then that's just me.
>
> Several system administrator prefer to run their server as an user
> in case it is compromised.

---
	That's better if it works -- restrict it to the user that runs it,
but, excuse my ignorance, would that affect binding to ports below 1024?

> > buffer-stack overruns are one of the most common exploits. > > It seems making that more difficult to exploit would help. But a single > > brick does not build a wall. It's part of a wall. > > A specialized library preloaded before the soft to monitor is much > more serious in this case, this library cauch call to dangerous function > and control the size of the destination buffer ( by walking throught the stack ) > if the size which will be written is > than the dest buffer size, > the program is killed. --- Add that as well.

> > > Five, the non-executable stack option does not even add a layer > > > of complexity. If anything, it forces to lamers to use and distribute > > > exploits that are actually easier to develop and deploy. Instant > > > backdoor in a can. Why bother with all that assembly language gunk > > > which takes more work, when all you have to do is know where the data > > > falls (which you would need for the executable stack even more) and > > > the entry point to the system call. > > --- > > Cool! Let's help hackers save time. Let's get to the real > > hacking tools and find ways to counter them. > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ > There is already good existing tool to counter them, > if your interested, i can give you pointer. --- Then how does adding non-executable stack disable those tools?

Please educate me. How does having the stack be non-executable open a hole that wasn't already there?

*confused* -linda

-- Linda A Walsh | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI law@sgi.com | Voice: (650) 933-5338