Re: register_pccard_driver vs register_pcmcia_driver...

From: David Hinds (dhinds@valinux.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 14:38:10 EST

You should use *_pccard_driver; as Andrew said, "PCMCIA" is supposed
to only stand for the association, and "PC Card" is the name for their
devices. This is confused by the fact that "PC Card" is not a very
descriptive name, and people seem more familiar with the "PCMCIA"
acronym. I'm afraid I abuse the terminology in the Linux PCMCIA
system. I've tried to move towards using "PC Card" where it is
painless to do so, but it has been a very low priority.

That said, when Linus created the alternate API for making Card
Services calls, he called them all pcmcia_*. It doesn't really
matter.

> What's the long-term plan here? Is the PCMCIA card services layer now
> obsolete?

As far as I know, there are no plans to do away with it. But I've
been wrong before.

(the card services layer is primarily designed for managing 16-bit PC
Card devices; the new hot swap PCI API is only for CardBus devices,
and doesn't displace any of the card services functionality)

I think the ray_cs driver in the standalone PCMCIA package handles
card removal better, on a 2.3.99 kernel. I've forwarded my changes to
the driver maintainer.

-- Dave Hinds