Re: -fno-strict-aliasing

From: Oystein Viggen (oysteivi@tihlde.org)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 10:36:52 EST

Robert Dinse wrote:

> The documentation states that the option -fstrict-aliasing is not
> invoked for any optimization levels because it is new and relatively
> untested. Since the default is not to invoke it, why include
> -no-strict-aliasing?

IIRC, -fstrict-aliasing was invoked by default in gcc-2.95.1, and possibly
egcs, but then removed by default in 2.95.2 because of problems at least
when compiling the Linux kernel.

Haven't heard of any problems with it when compiling other programs, but
then again, I don't hear everything... :)

Oystein