Re: -fno-strict-aliasing

From: Robert Dinse (nanook@eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 09:29:01 EST

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:

> no-strict-aliasing is documented. You should remember that gcc is a GNU
> program, also with old unmaintened man pages and the documentations put in
> 'info pages'. (This is due to the GNU manual policy)
>
> giacomo

     I don't know what the GNU manual policy is but I'm not fond of info. At
any rate, yes, it is documented there but it's inclusion in the compilation
flags is nonsensical if the documentation is correct.

     The documentation states that the option -fstrict-aliasing is not invoked
for any optimization levels because it is new and relatively untested. Since
the default is not to invoke it, why include -no-strict-aliasing?

     I've had these Sparc spin-lock from hell problems on all 2.2.x kernels
running on SMP SS-10's or SS-20's with Ross Hypersparc CPU's. I read in a
newsgroup recently someone else having the same problem and removing the
-no-strict-aliasing option helped them. But I built a kernel without it and
the kernels ended up exactly the same size so I don't know if it actually made
any difference in the generated code or not.

     With 2.0.x kernels; they were ineffecient for running a web server, a pain
(had to hack the file descriptors up, etc), and they'd frequently hang during
partition mounts or fsck's on SS-10, but once you got past those things they'd
be stable.