Re: Block fragments in ext2

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 08:02:48 EST

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 08:09:51AM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:

> Stephen, I seriously suspect that larger allocation block sizes would
> buys us a better speed. Reason: allocation algorithms in Linux ext2 and
> FreeBSD UFS implementations are very similar. Ditto for layouts, indeed.
> And on FreeBSD 16Kb blocks give visible win over the 4Kb ones.

Definitely, for certain operations. Large file "rm"s in particular.

Most of the advantage, though, lies in the lower amount of metadata
required for the mapping tree if you have a larger blocksize. I'd much
prefer to see us end up with btree-based mapping trees and a small
blocksize rather than large blocks with standard indirection mapping
tables as a final solution, as that really ought to gain the best of
both worlds: small-blocksize allocation efficiency with large-blocksize
metadata performance.

--Stephen