Re: [RFC] automount based devfs replacement

From: Christoph Hellwig (chhellwig@gmx.net)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 06:05:02 EST

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 11:36:12AM -0700, david parsons wrote:
> In article <linux.kernel.20000417124417.A813@sb.t-online.de>,
> Christoph Hellwig <chhellwig@gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> >Hi,
> >I've thought a bit about some ideas to replaced devfs with a combination
> >of automount and many small virtual filesystems. The idea is the following:
>
> I'd say ick, because it seems like it's replacing a somewhat flawed
> (odd and very non-traditional-Unix naming scheme, issues with
> multiple mounts)

The naming scheme is very UNIX-like (besides the ide & scsi devs), look at sysV.

> kernel scheme with a somewhat more fragile and
> complicated automount arrangement.

You don't have to use automount. You can mount every single fs yourself.
But it's much simpler with autofs ...

> I'd think it would be somewhat better to patch devfs so that it can
> only be mounted once (as a quick fix to the technical issues that
> are now being mentioned; if there are other technical issues with
> the current devfs they'll become more visible when Al Viro isn't
> fretting quite so much over the multiple-mounts thing) and do a
> purely user-mode hack to devfsd to fake multiple mounts.

The problem is¸ that you can mount only the whole devfs on multiple mount point even eith the
patch. If you have multiple file system you are able to mount only a subset in the chroot()ed
jail. This is necessary if you want namespaces.

Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.