Re: FunKey: Discussion topic

From: Rick van Rein (vanrein@zonnet.nl)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 05:35:07 EST

Paul Barton-Davis (pbd@Op.Net) wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
>
> >Because the user loaded a keyboard table that said the button was magic. You
> >can do that with capslock if you want, perhaps you prefer capslock to
> >stop/start your music, or to play a little tune. I dont know, but you can do
> >it 8)

That's a cool idea actually! I hate CapsLock and always reprogram it anyway.

> If the proposed solution would allow this, then that seems fine for
> console mode operation. However, my impression (without reading the
> source) was the it would not allow you to reroute "regular" keys
> through /dev/2DamnFunky. If it will, fine.

It will. Both my 2.2.14 patch and Pavel's similar 2.1 patch allow you to
treat _any_ key as a FunKey. Use your arrow keys for selecting an MP3 if
you only use VI's letter-based cursor movements if you want :)

It does take an additional keyboard handler type KT_xxx through.
One that deals with `hot' keys, which is thus far unsupported.

> I still feel that the X solution should go via the regular X
> mechanisms for key remapping.

Of course you should have that freedom. If you always work with X, you
couldn't care about a generic solution that covers both X and console.
But if you do like me, working with X only on rainy days [or so], you'd
probably enjoy this alternative mechanism. Indeed, through keymap programming.

I am *not* proposing to alter the default keymap, this stuff is mainly intended
for bizarre keyboards like mine [yes, the Personal Itch]. And that will always
take some programming anyway.

-Rick.