Re: [patch] repost of netfilter/NIPQUAD patches

From: Andrew Morton (andrewm@uow.edu.au)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 05:29:18 EST

Olaf Titz wrote:

> But I just found another, more severe reason against printk: gcc
> woudln't know how to check the new types.

Yes. Implementing it within vsprintf() is really nice - about four
lines of code (call sprintf() recursively) and fully reentrant.

But gcc will warn, and there's no way to prevent it. This is a
showstopper.

Even if you cook up a new (non-%) token it will still complain because
of the extra args.

The only solution I can think of is to create a new function
'printk_on_steroids()' and _not_ tell gcc that it takes printf-style
args.

--
-akpm-