Re: [patch] repost of netfilter/NIPQUAD patches

From: Florian Weimer (fw@deneb.cygnus.argh.org)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 02:20:21 EST

olaf@bigred.inka.de (Olaf Titz) writes:

> > > Still too much code duplication (and it reeks of the SMALLBUF, BIGBUF
> > > things found in too many apps).
> >
> > No, just one type, "netaddrstring_t" or something like that, for
> > exactly this purpose.
>
> You mean, define that to a suitable array? Like
> __u32 x;
> addrstr_ipv4_t adr;
> addrstr_ipv4_ntoa(&adr, x);
> printk("%s", adr);

Yes, that's the idea.

> (note the "ipv4" as name component; we're going to need an ipv6 one too)

addrstr_t is sufficient if it's large enough to accommodate the
printable representation of all addresses.

> That would probably be OK, although I don't think we _need_ the
> explicit buffers.

If you add code for all the address types to prinkt(), no.

> > > This is _perfect_ stuff for writing a suitable library function.
> >
> > What is a suitable library function in this case, IYO?
>
> printk(). Need to find a suitable syntax for different address
> families though.

printk() has to be in every kernel, and you don't want to have all
this address formatting code inside it, do you? ;) (You can't make it
a compile-time option because modules won't work properly.)