Block fragments in ext2

From: Justin Hopkins (hop@pionet.net)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 23:10:23 EST

Hi,

I'm trying to get a good understanding of the ext2 filesystem
for a paper that I'm writing for an OpSys class. So far I understand
the majority of the functionality but block fragments are giving
me a really difficult time.

My main question is this: Are block fragments essentially deprecated?

I came across Linus' statement against block fragments
http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9507/0195.html

and I've discovered via dumpe2fs that my block size and fragment
size are the same (Doesn't this preclude fragments from ever being
used?)

Anyways, I can see why they might be deprecated because intuitively
it seems like a real pain in the ass to try to handle both block
and fragment allocation (Seems almost like two competing filesystems
on the same real estate).

Thanks,
Justin Hopkins