Re: memory handling in pre5/pre6

From: Mark Hahn (hahn@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 15:37:09 EST

> Question is, have any of you actually noticed a performance
> hit because of this or are you just seeing different numbers

MAJOR performance hit. on my machine, for instance, I wind up
with something like 240M of 256 being wasted by big data files
that I'm done with, and a nice, cyclic pattern of ~4k swapouts,
followed immediately by a long stream of swapins. throughput
drops to around 40% of peak.

the swap thrashing indicates, to me, that the system can't understand
that 240M of unused page-cache is less valuable than the very
active memory image of my program. in this case, swapping idle
demons out is just fine, but they're trivial in size. swapping
out my ~20M program is just plain wrong, especially when there are
hundreds of MB of data files in page cache that I used (past tense).

in other words, we're not aging and scavenging the page cache very well.

regards, mark hahn.