Re: fs.h and string.h

From: Borislav Deianov (borislav@lix.polytechnique.fr)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 14:05:32 EST

In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0004171823520.1023-100000@saturn.homenet> you wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Peter Steiner wrote:
>> In include/linux/fs.h linux/string.h gets included. Is this really
>> necessary? I had to comment it out in order to compile dosemu and it seems
>> that the kernel still compiles ok.
>>
> The place in linux/fs.h which includes linux/string.h is inside __KERNEL__
> - why does dosemu define __KERNEL__ for itself? doesmu != kernel :)

I can make a guess: it wants to use something that's only defined
inside __KERNEL__. For example, I wanted to do #if on BITS_PER_LONG
from the part of a header file that's also needed from user space.
Defining __KERNEL__ in such places looks like a nice hack, but sooner
or later gets you in trouble, as we saw.

Regards,
Borislav