Re: [RFC] automount based devfs replacement

From: Christoph Hellwig (chhellwig@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 11:40:57 EST

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 10:39:46AM -0600, Richard Gooch wrote:
> What an appallingly bad idea. So instead of one filesystem, we now
> have dozens?!? Talk about kernel bloat!

There should of cource be some kind of skeleton code, that does 99% of the stuff.

> So what exactly is the point of this exercise?

Be much more like plan9 ;)

> What problems are you solving?

Moving more code to userspace.
Much simpler fs code (shared between the devfses)

> And if you are
> solving any real technical problems, why can't that be done with
> devfs+devfsd?

chroot()
no more magic mounting on /dev

Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.