Re: Fix for maestro in 2.3.99-preX

From: Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 12:13:15 EST

Linus> In article <d3purp2fxr.fsf@lxplus010.cern.ch>, Jes Sorensen
Linus> <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> wrote:
>> Some of us are trying to maintain drivers that are being used both
>> in 2.2.x and 2.3.x - having the compatibillity code stripped out
>> regularly from someone making a quick hack in the 2.3.x tree is a
>> major pain.

Linus> No.

Linus> It's a major pain just because you do it wrong.

[snip]

Linus> This is why I do not want to add compatibility files to
Linus> development kernels. It's the wrogn thing to do, because
Linus> adding compatibility files to new kernels always implies
Linus> carrying baggage around forever. Adding the compatibility
Linus> files to old kernels is conceptually the right thing to do: it
Linus> tells you (in the right place) that old kernels are still
Linus> maintained.

I don't know how the maestro compat code looks, I complained about the
general idea that compat code should just be stripped from drivers in
2.3.x. I agree that the right way is to write the driver according to
the new APIs and provide provide forward compat code for the older
kernels inside the driver.

No disagreement here.

Jes