Re: FunKey: Discussion topic

From: addi_c_ted (addi_c_ted@linuxbr.com.br)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 15:21:07 EST

Rick van Rein wrote:

> Hi all,
Hello!
> I released a keyboard patch for `hot keys' and wish to bring up a discussion
> topic around it. I made the following observation:
 ... I agree with most of you said until here.
> * The SysRq key is useful, but its implementation does not conform to the
> rest of the keyboard code at all. By treating SysRq as a sort-of shift/meta
> key, it could be possible to take it out of the kernel and put it in a
> daemon. Is this considered a good idea?

Sorry, but this cannot be really considered a good idea. The good thing
about SysRq is the fact that it is deeply inserted in the kernel. This
means that even In a almost-freezed situation the special SysRq
sequences will work... If you put it in a daemon, you won't have any way
to stop a runaway system (e.g.: "cannot fork()") but rebooting. If you
keep SysRq inside the Kernel, it is at least possible to sync (at least
in most cases), umount and reboot sort of cleanly, avoiding fs
corruption and other ugly problems...

> Let me hear your thoughts! Sending it Cc. to vanrein@zonnet.nl is appreciated.
Sure.
> Bye,
> -Rick.

Regards,
        addi_c_ted

* Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use
Linux.                                    *
* But Linux is not
user-friendly!                                         *
* It _is_ user-friendly.  It is not ignorant-friendly and
idiot-friendly. *