Re: Proposal "LUID"

From: Linda Walsh (law@sgi.com)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 18:19:18 EST

Alan Curry wrote:

> Linda Walsh writes the following:
> > The events can be tracked via forks/execs. When I su to another user
> >withing my current 'session', then spawn an xterminal, All I would see in the log
> >is that user "new" now has started a session. I'll see no idea that it was
> >really user "old".
>
> It really isn't user "old". su changes what user YOU REALLY ARE. That's what
> su MEANS. Substitute User. If you don't like it you can rm /bin/su. You don't
> need to bloat everybody's task_struct with this luid sillyness.

---
	No, 'su' doesn't change who you are.  I may know the password to root.
As root I can su to 'paul'.  I have not been authenticated as paul (since I don't
know his password).  'su' doesn't require proof of identity so it really doesn't
reflect authorized identity.

-- Linda A Walsh | Trust Technology, Core Linux, SGI law@sgi.com | Voice: (650) 933-5338