what about device busy on umount - Re: Linux 2.3.99pre6-3 job list

From: Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 14:41:48 EST

What about the "device busy" umount2 problems? - With 2.3.99-pre6-3 I still
get several failed umount2s on shutdown or indeed when I try to do it
manually. [Rebooting into 2.3.49 all works fine, 2.3.99-pre5 was already
affected]

With Alexander Viro's patch from Fri, 14 Apr 2000 22:48:38 -0400 (EDT) I
still get the errors but now its on different mount points!?!

IIRC the last two times I was rebooting (post patch) both /root and / were
affected (i.e. device busy), both residing on the same SCSI channel, and
same UW hard disk for that matter.

Before the above patch I was getting things like /usr/local, /home & others
being busy. - However only ext2 file systems have been affected (in my
case) so far.

It might well be just all partitions I have written to? (but I am not sure
100% of write cases are affected) - see other mails from people about this
from before.

Correct me if I am wrong but, IMHO this problem belongs under the "In
Progress" heading since I believe Alexander Viro is working on this?

Anton

At 19:29 16/04/2000, Alan Cox wrote:

>This should be fairly close to 2.3.99pre6-3. Send updates if not
>
>Fixed
>-----
>Tulip hang on rmmod (fixed in .51 ?)
>Incredibly slow loopback tcp bug (believed fixed about 2.3.48)
>COMX series WAN now merged
>VM needs rebalancing or we have a bad leak
>SHM works chroot
>SHM back compatibility
>Intel i960 problems with I2O
>Symbol clashes and other mess from _three_ copies of zlib!
>PCI buffer overruns
>Shared memory changes change the API breaking applications (eg gimp)
>Finish softnet driver port over and cleanups
>via rhine oopses under load ?
>SCSI generic driver crashes controllers (need to pass PCI_DIR_UNKNOWN..)
>UMSDOS fixups resync
>Make NTFS sort of work
>Any user can crash FAT fs code with ftruncate
>AFFS fixups
>
>In Progress
>-----------
>Merge the network fixes (DaveM)
>Merge 2.2.15 changes (Alan)
>Get RAID 0.90 in (Ingo)
>Finish I2O merge
>Still some SHM bug reports
>
>Fix Exists But Isnt Merged
>--------------------------
>Signals leak kernel memory (security)
>msync fails on NFS
>Lan Media WAN update for 2.3
>Semaphore races
>Semaphore memory leak
>Exploitable leak in file locking
>Merge the RIO driver (probably do post 2.4.0 as it is large) (in AC tree)
>S/390 Merge (merged in AC tree)
>1.07 AMI MegaRAID
>Mark SGI VisWS obsolete
>64bit lockf support
>UMSDOS was broken by the fs changes
>Get the Emu10K merged
>TTY and N_HDLC layer called poll_wait twice per fd and corrupt memory
>ATM layer calls poll_wait twice per fd and corrupts memory
>Random calls poll_wait twice per fd and corrupts memory
>PCI sound calls poll_wait twice per fd and corrupts memory
>sbus audio calls poll_wait twice per fd and corrupts memory
>
>To Do
>-----
>Restore O_SYNC functionality
>Fix eth= command line
>Trace numerous random crashes in the inode cache
>Fix Space.c duplicate string/write to constants
>VM kswapd has some serious problems
>vmalloc(GFP_DMA) is needed for DMA drivers
>put_user appears to be broken for i386 machines
>Fix module remove race bug (mostly done - Al Viro)
>Test other file systems on write
>Directory race fix for UFS
>Security holes in execve()
>Audit all char and block drivers to ensure they are safe with the 2.3
> locking - a lot of them are not especially on the open() path.
>Stick lock_kernel() calls around driver with issues to hard to fix nicely
> for 2.4 itself
>IDE fails on some VIA boards (eg the i-opener)
> [...]

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

-- Anton Altaparmakov Voice: 01223-333541(lab) / 07712-632205(mobile) Christ's College eMail: AntonA@bigfoot.com Cambridge CB2 3BU ICQ: 8561279 United Kingdom WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/