Re: EXT2 and BadBlock updating.....

From: Stephen Harris (sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 10:13:40 EST

Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com) wrote:
: I don't that sort of luxury. The hardware's already out in the field. I have
: to make do with what I have. If I go back and tell my client that, yes, if

If you are not worried about a total disk failure (obviously you're not
otherwise you would have two disks) then you could mirror the disk to
itself - split it into two partitions and mirror them. Yes, normally
it's totally silly to do this, but it may give you the week you require
to get onsite and replace the broken hardware. You still have many single
points of failure, but at least a bad sector doesn't become one of them :-)

: we have a single-bit failure on a disk sector, our only alternative is to go
: to two drives on the card and do software RAID, I'll be fired (and rightly so)
: for incompetence.

If you designed any 24x7 service that doesn't have this simple level of
redundancy in it, then the label fits. Someone somewhere definitely earned
the label, anyway!

--
                                 Stephen Harris
                 sweh@spuddy.mew.co.uk   http://www.spuddy.org/