Re: SCSI timeout and reset on ncr53c8xx and DVD_AUTH ioctl

From: Gérard Roudier (groudier@club-internet.fr)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 12:22:12 EST

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Jens Axboe wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 15 2000, Gérard Roudier wrote:
> > > Trying to do a DVD_AUTH ioctl I get a SCSI command timeout and after
> > > that a bus reset (see below) beginning with kernel 2.3.99-pre1 through
> > > -pre5 . It works without a problem in kernel 2.2.14 and 2.3.51.
> >
> > What has changed in recent linux SCSI (and PCI related) is that the kernel
> > allows applications to provide the data direction and requires low-level
> > drivers to check that data is transferred in the right direction. The
> > ncr53c8xx driver may lock up when actual data direction is wrong, but the
> > sym53c8xx will gracefully eat the wrong data, throw them away, and report
> > an error.
>
> The command issues is REPORT_KEY and the data direction has been set
> by the Uniform CD-ROM layer. So I don't think that is the problem.

Some direction has been set but the source says it is set to
CGC_DIRECTION_WRITE and in the situation that seems to match the command
that failed (DVD_LU_SEND_ASF) the code seems to read information from some
returned data. This looks pretty inconsistent to me.

On the other hand, I donnot seem to understand how the adaptec driver
ensures that data will not go in the wrong direction. But may-be I am just
also incompetent for this code.:)

Gérard.