Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 08:58:26 EST

On Sat, Apr 15, 2000 at 12:42:06AM -0400, Aaron Sethman wrote:
> It seems to me that the largest issue that most people have with devfs is
> namespace. Perhaps something that should be considered is a .h file that

        That has NOT been my experience.

        I actually don't mind the name space cleanup. It certainly works
to my benefit. I don't even mind, too much, the way it was implimented
in the kernel code. My fundamental issues have to do with it's integration
into the infrastructure. It could have been done much more smoothly and
with much less chaos if it hadn't been dumped on /dev and everyone was
forced to sink or swim or override the defaults. It's still lacking
certain critical features (non-volatile attributes) and devfsd seems like
a step backwards (we moved from kerneld to kmod and now we've got a user
space daemon back in charge again...). Even if devfsd was totally complete
(which it is not) and perfect, it still seems like we are moving in the
opposite direction of what we had been. Why the sudden reversal of field?

> keeps customized namespace stored in it. At least this way namespace
> decisions won't be scattered through the kernel and not stuck in devfsd if
> the user doesn't want to do that. Then at least you can do neat things
> like CONFIG_DEVFS_OLD_STYLE_LAYOUT or CONFIG_DEVFS_NEW_STYLE_LAYOUT or for
> the truly sick at heart CONFIG_DEVFS_I_LOVE_SOLARIS_AND_ITS_DEVICES_TREE.

        Uh... No... That would seem to be the worst of all possible
worlds. Now we go down the road where it becomes less and less certain
to know how this thing is configured. Get that wrong and your whole
systems goes in the dumper. No. I don't thing that's the answer to any
of the existing problems.

> Just an idea...If nobody wants to work on something like this, I might
> have the time for it...

        I would place one vote for someone who doesn't want it worked on.
Wrong answer, wrong problem.

> Aaron

        Mike

--