Re: Proposal "LUID"

From: Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 18:13:38 EST

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > that depend on the internal structure of the kernel's task struct. (Are their
> > such (she asks naively)? It's just such a tiny bit of code....:-)
> >
> > Soooo...ok, um, now tear me to shreds, er, I mean comments?
>
> I actually implemented it for some experimental stuff I was doing (resource
> tracking). Certainly doesnt bother me. It should be 'obvious' code.

The problem with the "luid" concept, when applied to C2 audit trails, is
that you have to be careful it can't be subverted.

The ways of subverting these are the usual kernel subversion entry points
:) i.e. insmod, /dev/mem, iopl(), etc. Luckily we've got the capability
bounding set so luid can be useful.

Cheers
Chris