detailed patch summaries - where?

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 16:34:33 EST

Anyone know where I can find DETAILED patch summaries? I've browsed the patch
summaries (really release summaries), but I haven't been able to get the
information I need.

For example, I'm having a problem with 2.0.30 where TCP connections are
hanging open, even after an explicit shutdown() on the socket. I've browsed
the patch summaries, and I foound a vague reference to TCP bugs that were
fixed. I peeked at the patches, but there really isn't enough information
to really tell what the patches *do*, how they work, or (more importantly)
what problem they solve. Looking at the change that Alan Cox made to socket.c
in 2.0.34, I see that Alan added a "mode++" line, but the comment reads
"Shutdown() bug", which may or may not relate to my problem, and the code
isn't commented. Is this all there is to it, or is there more? There's no
way to tell. This isn't a criticism of Alan, but the way the patches are done,
there's just no way to tell what fixes what, and all the other patch repositories
I've been able to find have been, um, incomplete...

Is there another patch repository on the net somewhere that lists, specifically,
what bugs re fixed by what patches? Because we're doing a port, I can't just
take the patch file from, say, 2.0.30 to 2.0.31 and just apply it. Any
pointer appreciated. :)