Simple Questions Regarding Linux

From: Koroush Saraf (akhavans@usc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 15:39:01 EST

Hi,
I have some simple questions regarding the internals of the latest
release version of Linux. Please

1. What kind of caching algorithm does linux employ? (random, etc.) Does
it have cache page coloring?
2. Is Linux like a micro kernel? By that I mean is the network and other
system stacks outside of the kernel code and loaded as individual modules?
I've heard that BSD's network stack is internal to its kernel code and
that's why its faster than Linux.
3. WHy is linux fork fast and exec slow? (as compared to other unix
flavors?)

thanks for your answers in advance,
Regards,
~koroush