Re: NexGen detection

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 11:01:27 EST

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se) writes:

> > > Is it possible to install a unknown instruction handler? Is it worth it?
> >
> > If you want to write the code then go for it. In theory you can check cpuid
> > availability by toggling a bit in eflags, we do that already
>
> I'd recommend against going through the trouble of doing this, unless
> Linus has changed his mind recently. He didn't admit the code to detect
> other older CPU's, so I can't see why he'd accept this.

Huh. Wonder what the rationale was behind this, unless the cpuid detection
isn't really necessary for newer kernels to work on an older CPU. After all,
one of the strengths of Linux is that it runs, and runs well, on 386 and 486
boxes. Makes putting up a cheap firewall, DHCP/DNS/print server, or router
a snap.