Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Johannes Erdfelt (jerdfelt@sventech.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 17:04:56 EST

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > FAT filesystems aren't guaranteed to be unique. I remember a formatter
> > would use the same number everytime. Makes it difficult to
> > differentiate.
>
> Yes I can format a UUID the same on all my disks two. I can make 500,000
> usb keyboards with the same serial number. Thats broken, we dont care
> about broken.

So solving this is impossible and to not worry about it?

> > UUID is definately a useful tool for identifying a device, but in the
> > larger scheme of things, it's useful for only a small subset of devices
> > and right now, it's only useful if the userspace tool specifically looks
> > for it.
>
> UUID identifies _filesystems_ not devices. That makes it more powerful and
> part of a much bigger picture where an fs is concerned. Imagine being able to
>
> mount -o find=anywhere uuid:53478583579875 /home
>
> And have your /home looked up in LDAP even

Sorry, I did mean filesystems and not devices.

Yes, yes. That's a nice idea. Unfortunately, not everything is a
filesystem.

I'm not even talking about that anyway, and the discussion didn't even
start that way. Can we get back to the original topic?

I have the feeling I'm not making my point clearly enough here since
you're still fixated on filesystems. Did you even read the rest of my
email?

JE