Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Johannes Erdfelt (jerdfelt@sventech.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 16:13:09 EST

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > Mice. There, try that one. The two hypothetical mice have no USB serial
> > numbers.
>
> You completely miss the point of this discussion. At least until I have
> a file system on my mouse.

Huh?

The beginning of this discussion was me saying:

> > It isn't a silver bullet for hot swap devices tho. We still have device
> > naming issues. How do I track that this USB to Ethernet device is eth1
> > and assign eth1 to it all the time.

The point of the discussion is that there is no solution to the problem
right now and devfs isn't a solution either.

UUID's on filesystems may be a specific solution to a specific problem,
but it still doesn't solve the fact that it's a specific solution.

And no some seems care.

I see no reason why I need a filesystem on my mouse to get correct
naming for the device.

I want mouse A to always be named mouse0, and mouse B to always be named
mouse1, EVEN if I connect mouse B in first. It should be named mouse1
and mouse0 should be empty.

> > Everyone seems to want to solve a specific problem but there's a larger
> > bigger problem everyone seems to be overlooking.
>
> And several small specific solved ones people keep missing too

But they are irrelevant. They don't solve the overall problem. You can
keep naming these specific solutions, but they still don't solve the
problem for every device.

Solving the problem on a per device basis doesn't make any sense for the
simple fact that it's specific to one device.

For instance, the UUID solution doesn't solve the problem for
filesystems which may not have UUID's, you've basically only solved it
for ext2. Like Linus always says, "Think big".

I think that devfsd can be part of the solution, but it's far from it
now.

JE