Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 12:56:14 EST

In <20000413122639.A24540@sventech.com> Johannes Erdfelt (jerdfelt@sventech.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2000, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> > It was merely an example. What about /dev/sda and /dev/sdb for USB
>> > hard drives.
>>
>> You dont care what drive is where, you care what file system is where. Thats
>> what UUID's are for

> The problem is that not every device has some sort of unique way of
> identifying it.

> Mice. There, try that one. The two hypothetical mice have no USB serial
> numbers.

I'll hate to search mapping mouse-keryboard-CRT on system with three
video cards and three mices and keyboards after each reboot.

> Sheesh, I didn't think I had to explain this to you.

> Everyone seems to want to solve a specific problem but there's a larger
> bigger problem everyone seems to be overlooking.

IMO story is different: MOST can see "larger bigger problem". Noone suggested
good solution for it. Since we need working system HERE AND NOW we are using
"specific ploblems" kludges. It'll be nice to have silver bullet (I mean
solution for "larger bigger problem") but so far I've not seen acceptable one...