RAID feasibility on Linux..

From: Michael Bacarella (mbac@nyct.net)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 12:21:07 EST

This is a rather broad question, but I'll try my luck here first.

We're looking to purchase a server for one of our clients and they have
requested some kind of RAID (for disk mirroring/backup purposes). We
already do ove-the-network tape backups, but they've requested something
more reactionary in the event of failure.

How feasible is it to configure 2 9 gig drives to act as a single logical
9 gig volume that both the operating system (Linux) and the client's data
will reside on?

The idea is to do this before installing the OS, or at least somehow
remapping both drives as one single drive (leaving the data in place)
after installation and configuration.

The entire purpose is disk mirroring and if one disk explodes into flames,
the other disk will carry the slack until we get down to the machine and
swap out the broken one.

I have very little practical experience with RAID.

I will accept a "RTFM" accompanied by a link. :)

 Michael Bacarella( mbac@nyct.net ) | (212) 293-2620
 Administration / Development / Support | http://nyct.net/
 [ N e w Y o r k C o n n e c t . N E T ] | info@nyct.net
 Bringing New York The Internet Service It Deserves!