Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Johannes Erdfelt (jerdfelt@sventech.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 11:26:39 EST

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > It was merely an example. What about /dev/sda and /dev/sdb for USB
> > hard drives.
>
> You dont care what drive is where, you care what file system is where. Thats
> what UUID's are for

The problem is that not every device has some sort of unique way of
identifying it.

Mice. There, try that one. The two hypothetical mice have no USB serial
numbers.

Sheesh, I didn't think I had to explain this to you.

Everyone seems to want to solve a specific problem but there's a larger
bigger problem everyone seems to be overlooking.

JE