Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 10:07:12 EST

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

> > See, this is where I think you should think "tar" or "cpio". Don't make it
> > fancier than it has to be.
>
> Would you advocate using a filesystem for your home where you have to drag
> permissions and ownership for files out of a backup each time you log in?

How many times a week do you reboot?

And how many scripts do you already run on reboot?

In short, what's wrong with running one more script on reboot and
shutdown, if it means that the filesystem magically becomes much less
involved.

Permissions can (and obviously in my opinion, should) be handled by a
user-space agent. The kernel uses some default permissions in the absense
of any other knowledge, but this is not all that dis-similar from what
/proc does in the end.

You're arguing for removing devfs, so you _like_ to make it sound like
there is no solution. I'm telling you that you're wrong.

                Linus