Re: devfs - why not ?

From: Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 19:51:20 EST

        OT - We need a breather and a break and bit of humor for a moment...

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 04:35:14PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <20000412162328.A2068@alcove.wittsend.com>
> By author: "Michael H. Warfield" <mhw@wittsend.com>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > I'm "on the fence". It makes my life simpler with things like the
> > device drivers I work on (getting them to show up in /dev - the Computone
> > Multiport drivers can create 520 separate devices when fully loaded) but
> > there are a lot of gotcha's where the fix (like taring up devices to
> > preserve permissions and symlinks at boot and halt) is just a butt-ugly
> > kludge.

> So instead there are 520 separate chunks of kernel memory... a device
> driver I'm hacking on right now is about 3x the size with devfs
> support than without (not to mention I can't find any documentation on
> the devfs kernel API, so I just gave up.)

        Huh?

        Ok... So... You're counter-point is implying I'm "supporting
devfs"? But you included my complaint about the gotcha's. I agree with
your point, I just disagree if agree that you imply that I'm support
devfs on this point.

        Ok... Who's on first, what's on second and I don't know's on third.

        Are you clear on what you are supporting and what I'm supporting?
If so, let me know what I'm supporting. I got lost a couple of messages
back.

        Peter:

        If you are implying that I'm supporting devfs, you and I will
go round and round at the next conference we cross paths at.

        If you are implying that I'm dumping on devfs, you and I will
go round and round at the next conference we cross paths at.

        And that seems to be the way a lot of these arguements go. I owe
you a beer at the next LinuxWorld, dude!

> -hpa

> --
> <hpa@transmeta.com> at work, <hpa@zytor.com> in private!
> "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot."

        Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/