Re: Accessing files from the linux kernel

From: David Elliott (dfe@infinite-internet.net)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 17:33:36 EST

Liran Liss wrote:

> Hi, I am building a modularized kernel driver and I am looking for a way
> to access a configuration file to save / load driver persistent data.I
> have spent a long time browsing the web for a clue on how to do this but
> had no results. Is it possible? If so, how to do it? Thanks a lot,
> Liran. P.S - Please CC me personally as I'm not in the linux kernel DL

DON'T DO IT.

You would be better off accepting parameters on the command line of the
module if you need the data to initialize the device. For instance, the
tuner module needs to know what type of tuner you are using, which is easily
expressed on the command line from /etc/conf.modules.

If it is something that can be changed while the driver is running
(soundcard mixer settings come to mind) then have an init script take care
of it.

-Dave