potential race condition on wait_on_page?

From: ying@almaden.ibm.com
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 13:02:27 EST

Hi,

Based on my browsing through the kernel code, it appears that the
page->wait queue is not protected by any spinlocks. This means that
multiple processes running on SMP can simultaneously call "wait_on_page".
If the page is locked already, those processes would all be
put into the wait queue. Without a spinlock to protect the page wait queue
access, the queue can be messed up. Is this correct? Am I missing
anything here?
I have not seen any problems that may be caused by this, but this probably
doesn't mean that the problem does not exist.
I'd appreciate any clarifications. It's certainly highly likely that I made
a wrong observation here. Thanks in advance.

Ying