Re: CONFIG_{INPUT_,}MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_[XY] in 2.3.99-pre5

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 10:23:22 EST

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 11:06:37AM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> For a start, drivers/usb/Config.in calls these variables
> CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_[XY] while drivers/usb/mousedev.c calls them
> CONFIG_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_[XY].

Thanks for the bug report - patch attached. It's *anyway* for digitizers
emulating a mouse only, for normal mice the values aren't used.

> But I'm more concerned at their existence in the first place.

They shouldn't exist. Yes. mousedev.c shouldn't exist at all. It'a a
hack to make existing applications work by emulating a PS/2 mouse with
data from various USB devices.

As soon as applications that use mouse will be able to talk to the event
interface implemented by evdev.c, mousedev can go as can these two options.

I already do have a patch for GPM. But I still need someone to write a
XInput module for XFree. Several people promised to do that, but no
results so far.

> Do I really have to recompile my kernel every time I hit
> Ctrl-Alt-{Plus,Minus} to change my X server's screen resolution?

If you use a digitizer and want to have it cover all screen, yes.

> Couldn't we at least make an _attempt_ at getting this information from a
> framebuffer device, or making it configureable at runtime?

Feel free to submit a patch that does this better. Or even better write
(or get someone to write) the XInput module.

> Why's it necessary anyway?

See above. Btw, it's not new in pre-5, it's just been hidden under
another option.

--

To Randy: Please apply the patch.

-- Vojtech Pavlik SuSE Labs