[patch] smp-2.3.99-5-B2, various x86 SMP updates/fixes

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 06:55:24 EST

this is the newest x86 SMP patchset (attached), against 2.3.99-pre5. The
patch is also available from:

        http://www.redhat.com/~mingo/smp-x86-patches/smp-2.3.99-5-B2

Changes:

- external APIC (82489DX) code rewrite, default configuration handling
  rewrite and fixes (Maciej W. Rozycki, tested by Eric Gilmore)

- support for i486 SMP boxes [yeah! :-)] (Maciej W. Rozycki)

- various fixes and cleanups (Maciej W. Rozycki, me)

- fixed CPU/process stats in UP-IOAPIC mode, first reported by Gabor Vitez
  (me)

some small unrelated x86 items:

- added the string-i486.h assembly version of strstr to asm-i386/string.h
  because it's much faster than the lib/ version. (me)

- added mem=exactmap option to enable setting of an exact e820 memory map,
  as specified by the user. Right now the kernel adds an unconditional
  low-RAM e820 region if mem= is added. (me)

with this patch applied the x86 SMP/APIC subsystem is again in 'no known
bugs' status - please resend reports to me if any problem is still
unfixed, or any new problem arises. The patch has been sanity booted on
8-way, dual, UP-IOAPIC and UP (486) systems.

        Ingo