Re: two hotplug issues

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 06:31:30 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

> Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> > Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > Perhaps pci_driver needs a new method:
> > >
> > > char * (*devname)(struct pci_dev *dev, int card_idx);
> >
> > why not just a 'const char *' member that the driver can optionally fill
> > in?
>
> That would assume a one-to-one mapping between a driver and an
> interface. Is that legit?

You are completely correct, no it's not legit.

I don't think that 'card_idx' is a good way to associate an interface to
an instance of a PCI driver however... A driver is well within its
rights to export more than one interface to the world, for example a
complex block device driver might export a character device for control
purposes, so you don't even have a one-one correspondence between PCI
driver instances and interfaces...

--
Jeff Garzik              | Nothing cures insomnia like the
Building 1024            | realization that it's time to get up.