Re: EXT2 and BadBlock updating.....

From: Andrzej Krzysztofowicz (ankry@pg.gda.pl)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 02:22:05 EST

> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 22:20:43 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>

> > > Explain.........Please........
> >
> > If you have one bad sector you should write the other 7..
>
> Now if the ata/ide driver does not address this recovery then I see big
> problems. Alan's case (my reading) states that regardless if we blow the
> write to a sector (based on 8 multi-write command) we should write all
> that we can........
>
> That's definitely the case. If you're writing 8 sectors, and sector #4
> has an error, the driver shouldn't give up and not write sectors 5-8!

Some time ago I observed similar problem with reading. If there was a bad
block on the disk ll_rw_block() returned an error while reading some blocks
following the bad one in PIO/DMA mode when multicount/readahead were set,
respectively.
However, I can't check this with present kernels as I do not have a disk
with bad blocks now...

I observed this efect running badblocks program with different disk
settings:
- when multicount/readahead were set to 0 (or 1) only the really bad
  blocks were reported as bad,
- when multicount/readahead were set to >1 more blocks were reported as
  bad...

Andrzej