Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: Terje Kvernes (terjekv@ifi.uio.no)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 17:58:20 EST

Ed Carp <erc@pobox.com> writes:

> Terje Kvernes (terjekv@ifi.uio.no) writes:
>
> > Ed Carp <erc@pobox.com> writes:
> >
> > > No, no, NO! Straight ASCII. Forget the latest XML/XSL BS/hype.
> >
> > in the files, yes! but I'd like a tools to present this
> > information (no matter how it is stored) as XML for other use. I
> > really thought I was clear on that. ;)
>
> If the files are easy to read and parse, writing tools to produce
> XML or whatever becomes almost childishly simple.

I'll drink to that.

> But that's not the point I'm trying to make - my point is, the file
> format should be (1) EASY for SHELL SCRIPTS to parse, and (2) EASY
> for HUMANS to parse, too. Why make it harder than it has to be?

totally agreed upon. all I want is a singular (and preferably simple)
way of organizing /proc. imagine a /proc where every tree behaves the
same. :-)

I'm growing very fond of the "one value / file"-notion. and maybe the
/sys (or whatever) to separate process information from system
information.

I _don't_ want parsers to have to handle "cases" in the system, like
sometimes you'll have several values in a file, other times you don't.
if we can keep _one_ view, we should. IMHO of course. ;)

--
Terje