Re: An alternative way of populating /proc

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 12:03:48 EST

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Matt Aubury wrote:

> I've done a quick, dirty, unfinished implementation of this idea, so
> people can get the picture. Attached.
>
> Many people will hate this because (1) it's doing parsing within the
> kernel, (2) it tends to favour ascii I/O, (3) it tends to favour deep
> directory hierarchies,(4) it uses recursion :-)

I like the idea a lot: it's simple, it's clean, and it does make it truly
trivial to build up a simple /proc architecture.

This is also an example of why I absolutely detest and hate "device
numbers" - this kind of dynamic light-weight thing simply does not allow
for static stupidity. You _cannot_ make static numbers clean.

                        Linus