Re: What to do with 3c59x.c?

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 00:35:51 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

> I have pretty much completed the 2.3.99 merge of drivers/net/3c59x.c and
> drivers/net/pcmcia/3c575_cb.c.
>
> This driver now supports
>
> 3c59x series
> 3c90x series
> 3c980 series
> 3c555 series
> 3c575 series (Cardbus).
>
> That's EISA, PCI and Cardbus all in the one driver. Fairly cleanly.

cool

> My question is: how should this driver be integrated into the kernel
> tree?
>
> - putting it in drivers/net/3c59x.c and removing
> drivers/net/pcmcia/3c575_cb.c will break existing /etc/pcmcia/config
> settings.

If the drivers are to be unified I would say leave the most popular name
in place, which imho means 3c575_cb goes away in favor of 3c59x. This
gets my vote...

> - overwriting both drivers/net/3c59x.c and drivers/net/pcmcia/3c575_cb.c
> with the same file is obnoxious.

Look at pre 2.3.40 drivers/net/pcmcia drivers, particularly epic100 and
a couple others. Basically they consisted of a drivers/net driver being
compiled with different flags, in a different directory.

Another option for pcmcia module-naming compatibility is to simply

        cp 3c59x.o pcmcia/3c575_cb.o

with a little makefile hackery. I dunno if special casing like that is
warranted however.

> - perhaps make a clean break. Put it in drivers/net/3cxxx.c and remove
> the other two.

You might as well call it 3com.c or 3com-pci.c[1] at that point :)

        Jeff

[1] Yes I know EISA is in there too

--
Jeff Garzik              | Nothing cures insomnia like the
Building 1024            | realization that it's time to get up.