Re: FW: press release - new network driver architecture

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 22:49:27 EST

Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de) writes:

> erc@pobox.com (Ed Carp) wrote on 10.04.00 in <200004101700.MAA22835@khijol.org>:
>
> > Chip Salzenberg (chip@valinux.com) writes:
> >
> > > According to Anton Ivanov:
> > >
> > > 'Incomplete includes' are covered by the GPL, in that anyone who wants
> > > full includes for a binary compiler must be able to get them.
> > >
> > > I think the kernel should support a /proc/config.gz pseudofile to make
> > > the running config available. I already depend on just such a patch.
> > >
> > > As for the compiler, well, that's what binary dists like Debian are for.
> >
> > And if people don't want to line the pockets of the folks who produce
> > distributions, there's always CheapBytes ;)
>
> You do know, I hope, that this makes absolutely no difference to anyone
> within Debian, being that all of those are unpaid volunteers - which is
> why you'll find a link to CheapBytes (and lots of others) on the Debian
> web pages.
>
> In that, Debian is very different from most other distributions. No lining
> of pockets whatsoever.

Yes, I knew that. :) It's one of the reasons I've been considering switching over to Debian. I've got Caldera, Debian, RedHat, Mandrake, and TurboLinux all sitting on the shelf in front of me, but I haven't had time to install any of them except RedHat 6.1 on one of my laptops. This Linux PPC project is kicking my butt - it's not quite PReP compliant, and that's causing us a whole slew of heartache. Plus the fact that we're doing parallel porting of 2.0.30 and 2.2.14 at the same time (I didn't pick 2.0.30!), and I've barely got time to update my RedHat 6.1 kernel (2.2.12) to 2.2.14 - a process that was unnecessarily painful :(