Re: HIGH MEMORY access

From: Manfred Spraul (manfreds@colorfullife.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 17:09:33 EST

From: "Lyle Coder" <x_coder@hotmail.com>
> Ingo,
> Please accept this patch as I am able to boot on machines that place the
MPS
> tables above 1GB with this patch.

Are the changes to highmem.c really required, or are they remainders from
debugging?
I don't understand why you removed the BUG() calls.

And I don't like that kmap() is abused for the MP table:
* What happens when you boot with
        mem=512M
    on the lilo command line?
I assume it will crash.

* What happens when someone boots a non-highmem kernel?
e.g. an IO apic enabled UP emergency boot disk?

I'll try to implement vmap_boot(long long addr, len) tomorrow, but obviously
your patch is better than the current code.

--
    Manfred