Re: Help needed; Linux NFS will not get along with HP-UX,suspectstatd missing in Linux distribution

From: Peter Klosky (Peter.Klosky@trw.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 15:09:11 EST

Dear Dominik,

Thanks for the reply about the HP-UX to Linux NFS trouble with locks/statd missing or what have you. I'll try to see if HP-UX will accept a "nolock" argument in the /etc/fstab options, as you suggest, but no such option is shown in the man page on HP-UX. What would a "nolock" option do, anyway? I've included some detail about our Linux rev, as you requested. At the moment, I have to reboot my HP-UX as the linux NFS problem has caused unkillable processes on HP-UX.

Peter

Our linux box reports the following:

Red Hat Linux release 6.1 (Cartman)
Kernel 2.2.13-0.13smp on an i686
DELL-installed Red Hat Linux

Our HP-UX reports:

$ uname -a
HP-UX hpdev6 B.11.00 U 9000/800 2008163632 unlimited-user license

>>> Dominik Kubla <dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de> 04/08/00 02:08AM >>>

Now to the "fixing it" part of the problem. My guess is that you are
using the old user-land NFS daemon which does not support locking. So
either:

- Ask your HP to mount with the "nolock" option.

or:

- Install the latest kernel-based nfs-utils from your distribution medium
  or if it is lacking support for this, look at:

        http://download.sourceforge.net/nfs/

  and set it up according to the instructions.

Dear List Members,

My linux box has no statd, and NFS service from an HP-UX client hangs, probably when the application goes for a file lock. When I type "man statd" on linux, it mentions an executable in /usr/sbin, but there is no such executable. The HP-UX complains every fifteen seconds that it cannot contact the linux daemon.

Any suggestions in how to get Linux NFS to work? We have been planning that Linux would at least be solid enough to allow NFS to run.

If more details needed, let me know.

Thanks,

Peter