Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

From: Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 02:14:59 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Carp" <erc@pobox.com>
To: <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2000 2:06 AM
Subject: Re: Suggested dual human/binary interface for proc/devfs

> Bill Wendling (wendling@ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu) writes:
>
> > Also sprach George Bonser:
> > } On Sat, 8 Apr 2000 yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:
> > }
> > } > The problem is that ASCII/UNIX-file-system is a generic, exportable,
> > } > and long lasting solution, while every binary format known to
humankind
> > } > has been painful, limited, and rapidly obsoleting. Perhaps the
solution is
> > } > faster tools for manipulating text files.
> > }
> > } Or perhaps a common format for the text files would help. Some kind of
> > } delimiter standard would be helpful ... tabs turn into spaces
sometimes,
> > } are multiple spaces multiple empty fields? I would like to see a comma
or
> > } some other ... any other ... char be used as a standard field
delimiter.
> > } Hard to tell the difference between multiple empty fields and just a
lot
> > } of white space within a field if one is using spaces.
> > }
> > XML could be kind of useful here.
>
> Disagree. Too many bytes to describe something that should be really
simple, and you have to write your own parser, etc. Please don't try to use
the latest technological whizz-bang as a solution for a problem that doesn't
exist.

I would suggest the .ini file type file format, like what Samba uses. Its
relatively easy to parse and also quite understandable to most people.